Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dork goes metal! And an artist you should know...

Exciting news for yours dorkly, I have finally gotten to take a few of those long desired metalsmithing classes! My pal Amanda, is an uber talented silversmith and I have had the chance to spend two afternoons with her learning different things. First class, we made etched copper cuffs! Etching copper and brass is something I have been wanting to do and is a relatively easy and economical process, and the results are pretty much always bad-ass! In the process of making the cuffs I also learned some basics of sawing and cutting metal, and some shaping and forming techniques. And I filed and sanded in more ways than I knew existed. The pieces may look rustic, but they don't feel it!
The end result of that class and the techniques I learned are already popping up in the artfire shop, like these two lovelies:
Night Shift

  
Unisex Steampunk Cuff
The second class I worked on pick and chip soldering with a torch. The end result of this class doesn't have the same boo-yah instant gratification, but are also really important basics, and ever since ideas keep popping into my head for projects and then I realize..."Hey, I can probably actually do that!" And I did make myself a pretty snazzy bracelet, with every single link cut, shaped, soldered, pickled, shaped again,and again, and again, and oxidized, by me.
See!
Well, enough about me already! And now for something completely different!

Kindred Images and Creations are imagined and created by a very talented lady just down the road in Brunswick, Maine. Her shop features an eclectic mix of photographic prints captured with a keen eye, delicate, lovely and feminine jewelry, and some super unique steampunk pieces. And to top it off she is also a very informative blogger!
I like too many things in her shop to narrow it down, so this is a bit of a random sampling...
Garnet Chaos Bracelet

Add caption
Definitely worth taking a look around! I never fail to be surprised by her creations.
There's that writers block again~well, at least I got this far! Till next time-Dork

2 comments:

Vela Anderson said...

Wow... That looks like so much fun Dork. And beautiful too. I would like to have one of those keychain ornaments. So I'm off to chek your shop... Nice work Mister!

Unknown said...

Thanks doll!